BB&T Malden Salt Fest
In just its second year, the BB&T Malden Salt Fest is getting bigger and better! Learn about the area's rich history while enjoying live music, kid-friendly activities, and food vendors.
Saturday Events Schedule
- 10 a.m. BB&T Malden Salt Fest opens with an Old-Fashioned Parade stepping off from DuPont Middle School
- 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Free trolley shuttle from the Harvest Art Fair at The Women’s Club of Charleston to J.Q. Dickinson Salt-Works
- 11 a.m. Opening Ceremonies
- 12 p.m. Cakewalk
- 12:15 p.m. “Role of Food in Rust Belt States,” presentation by Beth Kracklauer, Wall Street Journal
- 12:30 pm “Leatherbritches - Preserving Appalachian Food,” demonstration by Ronni Lundy
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. FOOTMAD performances featuring Maiuri Dancers, Bobby Taylor and Kanawha Traditions
- 1:15 p.m. “Ricotta Cheese Making,” demonstration by Chef Paul Smith
- 1:30 p.m. “Black Middle Class Starts Here,” presentation by Larry Rowe
- 1:30 p.m. Storytelling by Adam Booth
- 2 p.m. “History & Use of Shrubs, a Drinking Vinegar,” demonstration by Meredyth Archer
- 2:45 p.m. “Paw Paw Butter & Ramp Jelly,” demonstration by Andrea Duke
- 3 p.m. “Appalachian Food History & Culture,” presentation by Ronni Lundy
- 3:30 p.m. Cakewalk
- 3:30 p.m. Storytelling by Adam Booth
- 3:30 p.m. “Salt in Soaps,” demonstration by Brookstone Soap
- 5 p.m. Beans and cornbread available for purchase
- 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Peddlers Glory performs
Tours of the J.Q. Dickinson facility will take place every half hour from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Salt-making reenactor Jim Bordwine, quilter Fran Kordek and weaver Jane Gilchrist will make presentations throughout the day.
The Kids’ Zone will be open throughout the day featuring Salt Fest t-shirt coloring, hula hoops, face painting and cornhole.
Sunday Events Schedule
All Day Self-Guided Tours at Springhill Cemetery (graves of salt company owners marked)
10 a.m. Service at African Zion Church with Reverend English followed by tour
Sunday, October 21
J. Q. Dickinson Salt Works
4797 Midland Dr., Malden, WV 25306